środa, 3 marca 2010

13. SELECTION

There are many different types of selection of future candidates to be employed. Some organisations tend to use only one, but the other would rather prefer to conduct more complex way of selecting good candidates. The reasons for selection process are to gain as much information about applicant as possible, to judge whether she/he would be appropriate employee for particular job or forecast his/her future performance in work.



As an example following methods can be described:
• Short listing in accordance to cv’s information supported with interview – this is the most common method. Gives lots of information about candidate and his experience, but does not provide information about his/her actual work performance.
• Tests – personality, knowledge or skills test. Common way used when applicant got successfully through interview and cv examination. It gives some information about authentic knowledge in certain areas and the way the applicant thinks and analyses data.
• Trial shift – ultimate picture of candidate’s performance and behaviour. During trials most of uncertain issues related to particular applicant get clear. However, gathered picture of his/her performance can be distracted by stress etc.

Last interview I had was conducted on two of the ways described above. It was interview for a waiter in Pizza Express. First stage was obtaining information about me from my cv and short interview with manager. After she was happy about my experience, English language and communication skills I was straight away invited for 4 hour trial shift on Monday next week. The trial shift was nothing else than normal work and was to show my attitude and approach to the customers. After that I was presented contract details and employed. The interview appeared effective for both sides. At the beginning she decided whether it is worthy to make an appointment with me by examining my cv and during trial shifts I needed to show that I am person with appropriate manners and approach to people. Without trial shift it would be impossible to assess how useful waiter I could be.

For Pizza Express I do not have many recommendations how to improve the selection process, for it is complex and examines candidates in terms of all desired features, skills and requirements. However the trial shift might be a bit longer and conducted twice – in different situations and conditions of work. Reason for that is my trial shift was conducted during not very busy day so I could easily cope with my duties, however the future candidates could be put also in more stressful situations, when is very busy and many customers to be served.

Selection process is vital factor for employing appropriate staff and improving performance of a company. When conducted without proper effort may cause loss for company, for recruitment is expensive process and takes time, which are not to be given back once spent inefficiently.


REFERENCES

University of Oregon (2009) Guidelines for Recruitment and Selection. Available from: http://hr.uoregon.edu/recruit/guidelines.html#select
[Accessed 1 May 2010].

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz